In September 2009, IBM published the results of their survey with 2,600 CIOs from 78 different countries and 19 different industries. Unlike other enterprise solutions for business intelligence, OTBI is designed primarily for business users who want to serve themselves with minimal assistance from IT. These nontechnical personnel increasingly need the ability to investigate enterprise data on their own so they can ask—and answer—important questions about the business.
It is a sad fact that not all businesses use BI, even though they may have the data and even perhaps the ability gain some intelligence from it. What they lack are the processes of turning this data and information into knowledge and finally to intelligence.
Papers published in IJBIDM are geared heavily towards applications (use of intelligence data analysis and mining techniques in business applications), with an anticipated split of 70% of the papers published being applications-oriented, research and the remaining 30% containing more theoretical research.
IJBIDM publishes original research results, surveys and tutorials of important areas and techniques, detailed descriptions of significant applications, technical advances and news items concerning use of intelligent data analysis technique in business applications.
In these circumstances, it would be wise to use tools and methods that allow quick turnaround of ideas, so that each new trial would not require too much time to prepare: new data should be readily available if needed, new software and libraries implementing the next method to try should be easily available to install and download, infrastructure must be ready to support new software or frameworks and so on.